In order to fully understand how to operate decanter centrifuge, firstly, we must know centrifuge work principle. In many industrial jobsite, solid material often mixes with liquids, contaminating water supplies or turning mud into sludge. Decanter centrifuge is an useful equipment that can separates solids and liquids, so it has become an essential component of water waste facilities and the chemical, oil, and food processing industries. In oilfield drilling system, if without a centrifuge, users maybe cost rather higher price to process drilling mud. So if you want to save cost and improve process efficiency, using a decanter centrifuge will be a good choice.
The decanter centrifuge types
With the development of the industry technology, more and more different types centrifuge is designed. At present, there are mainly several types of decanter centrifuge utilized in the industry, the most common of which are vertical, horizontal, low speed centrifuge, middle speed centrifuge, high speed centrifuge and high speed frequency conversion centrifuge. The core principle of a decanter centrifuge is based on the theory of gravitational separation. For example, if you fill a glass with a mixture of mud and water, over time the weight of the mud will cause it to settle down at the base of the glass. With the mud congealed at the bottom, the water will be forced upwards, creating a clear separation between the mud and water.
Working principle of decanter centrifuge
A decanter centrifuge is essentially a bowl tube that rotates at an extremely high speed. The bowl tube is equipped with an internal conveyor which moves in the same direction but at a different velocity.
- The slurry flow into the centrifuge through a connecting pipe and it will be pushed to conveyor.
- Utilizing an internal feed compartment the conveyor ushers the slurry through a nozzle into the bowl area.
- The bowl rotates at high speed induces gravitational forces.
- High speed rotation separates the solid material out of drilling fluid relying on difference between centrifugal force and gravitational force.
- The conveyor delivers the solid material upwards and then particles will be discharged through a nozzle.
- The solid material removed, the purified liquid is released out via the discharge pipe.
The ability to purify liquid makes decanter centrifuges ideal for waste water treatment. However, there are various industries centrifuges play an important role. Similar to other decanter equipment, decanter centrifuges are simple to install and do not require a foundation to build. Their efficiency saves time and materials and it is an essential equipment for drilling mud solids control system.